Introduction: A Vital Part of a Dissertation
May 8, 2017
How to Write an Effective Introduction for a Dissertation
Next to the abstract section of the dissertation, it is the introduction that readers seek to better understand the study. It is in this part that the readers have a better glimpse and grasp of the scope of the dissertation. Therefore, the student writing a dissertation should write this section in a convincing manner so that it will entice the readers to read every detail of it.
The introduction usually consists of the explanation on why the dissertation is worth studying about. It is also gives a summary and justification of the study. It serves as the gateway of the readers to understand the whole study. Due to this, the introduction should be written in a straightforward and concise manner. However, there are still some students that do not really know what to write in this part.
Here are the components of an ideal introduction:
It should neither be too short nor too long. It serves as the heart of the study. The thesis statement should include an introduction of the study, what the scholar community thinks about the topic, and its relevance to the society.
Overview of the Study
This component of the introduction is necessary since it will show the importance of the study. Also, it should include a brief description of the different concerns and pressing issues related to the study. These issues will further support the significance of the study.
Significance of the study
The significance of the study is incorporated in the introduction of the dissertation. It is in this section that the answers of most people regarding the topic can be answered. It is also in this section that that pressing issues regarding the topic will somehow be clarified.
Aside from the above mentioned components, it is also important that the introduction include a summary or brief presentation of what will be discussed in the proceeding sections. It will give the readers an idea of what to expect from the other sections of the dissertation.
Above all, the key points that any student writing a dissertation should remember are brevity and clarity of thoughts. Just by remembering these points, a student will surely be able to come up with an effective introduction.
One must also remember that readers based their impression from the introduction. This just means that this section of the dissertation needs careful attention. One should write this part in a way that the writer will surely catch the attention of the readers. It is also here where the readers decide whether to continue reading the study or not.
Generally the dissertation that you are going to write will help you to a great deal to write the significant paper that you are going to submit for your master degree or for you doctoral degree. This will give you the necessary practice and experience needed for writing a high level paper in the forthcoming years to come. When you begin to write, you may be an underdog in writing a dissertation. There is nothing impossible in this world. You will be able to acquire the skill of writing a good dissertation over the course of time. Without developing this skill, you will have a hard time to write a dissertation even if you have an excellent knowledge over the topic of your study. Now, every one who begins to write his or her dissertation may feel a bit nervous which is quite natural.
To have a proper understanding on how to write an effective introduction, look at our advices:
- The first thing that the beginner has to start to while trying to write is the introduction part, and they feel that, this is a very challenging task. Generally when reading your introduction readers should be able to get the just of your paper and should understand the theme.
- Your introduction should be able to grab the attention of the listeners. If you fail to make such an impression in the minds of the reader, then the reader will not have the mood to go through the entire dissertation. This will create a negative impact on your paper. But when you compare the introduction part with other segments of your dissertation, this is the easiest segment to write in your paper.
- Before proceeding with your introduction segment, try to spend some time in gathering the information regarding the topic of your study. You will be able to obtain abundant sources of information from your library. Before writing the introduction, prepare a rough draft which will help you a lot.
- Keep in mind that that, your writing should be able to make the reader understand your point of view. Make sure to use a simple language so that your reader can easily understand what you say. Maintain a constant tone throughout your dissertation.
- Don’t restrict yourself in your thinking process. Allow all the idea to flow through your mind. Write in a brief and precise manner. Generally people won’t expect much from the dissertation. So don’t worry yourself too much. Try to give all the necessary information in an appropriate manner. Your introduction should give the reader the initial information that the reader is expecting like the theme, intension and the purpose of your dissertation.
- When there are still confusions on how to write the introduction properly, there are so many people and references that one can seek for writing help. You can either talk to your professor or look for other guides from the library.
Moreover, there are still some online writing help – dissertation writing services that you can visit if you want to.
If you feel that it is so difficult process, then you can better hire an expert for your dissertation writing process. They will help you to draft your dissertation introduction in an attractive manner. Primedissertations.com will help you to overcome your problem. We have experienced writers who can help you to yield the desired results that you are expecting.