When You Plan To Write a Dissertation
June 5, 2017
How To Write a Good Dissertation
The academic year full of studies and stressful exams is over. You can start dreaming about exotic beaches, music festivals, and quality time with your family. You might be excited to be in your last year of university, but keep in mind that it will be both an incredible and dreadful one. Despite the fact that your dissertation seems like a long-term perspective, it is actually high time to take into account what to expect. Otherwise, the workload might be unbearable.
Consider your dissertation writing a journey…and just like how before setting out for your journey, you would prepare yourself with whatever information and instruction you can gather, your dissertation writing too begins with your knowing of the instructions. Without any instructions you cannot even think of writing dissertation. Your plan on how to write and what to write comes later. More over no instructions means no idea about dissertation. Plus you cannot start to write a dissertation without knowing when to submit. Your instructions will tell you the things you need to take care of while you write a dissertation. Therefore, don’t forget to get your copy of instructions for your dissertation writing. You need to be sure of those specific needs. Check out that you have all documents listing the requirements. Do not hesitate to ask for help with your dissertation project your dissertation tutor. This is the first person whose advice you can get when any controversial question arises. You can also get some help from your peers, people in the year above, or members of the staff in your department. Having some guidance through your project will definitely facilitate the process of writing.
Things to Remember Before You Plan to Write Dissertation
Starting your dissertation, have an idea that is a process that requires planning and drafting. Even if you are going to start your dissertation after Christmas, it is recommended to have at least a slight knowledge of the dissertation structure. You should also decide on the direction you prefer to base your dissertation project on. In the other case, you might have to postpone your project for an unknown period of time. If you do not plan ahead, you might end up having not enough time to finish your dissertation until the deadline.
Take into account the time available for conducting your project Undoubtedly, there are plenty of things you want to do when you are a university student. It is so usual for a university student to combine fine and cramming nights. However, it is not the reason to push back your dissertation. If you prefer to plan and organize your study schedule and fun time carefully, I suggest making a calendar in order to know when you are busy and when you are free to occupy yourself with hobbies. This way, you will be able to know how much time you have so that you do not miss any deadlines during the last academic year.
Although dissertation mainly includes several activities like reading, consulting, searching, studying, data collecting etc. planning your dissertation, is highly recommended, as without proper planning, it would not solve any purpose. Similarly, following a plan which has been set by someone else would not solve the purpose either, since your plan should match your requirements as well as individualities. Given below is an illustration in regard to a plan, which is simply for the purpose of explanation and might vary from one dissertation to another. Primedissertations.com recognizes the major issues of the students, and therefore, it is really helpful, to visit this site and get some ideas in this regard.
Do not overwhelm yourself with dissertation writing. It is certainly the most important piece of writing in terms of getting university degree. At the same time, it doesn’t mean that you have to bury yourself in the research. Regardless of how busy you are, it is vital to find time to relax and have fun.
Take care of the following things before you begin:
- There should not be any kind of confusion regarding your dissertation. You must be clear on what you are going to write. And before you begin be sure whether or not you will be asking some one to help you. In case you are taking help then whose help would you use, clearly decide on it. As far as the subject matter is concerned you must know, whether you are supposed to choose from a preset list of topics that were lectured in your class or if you are free to choose an original topic for your dissertation. This knowledge will help you decide your topic.
- The word limit is very important, you must know yours. You cannot write lower than the minimum and beyond the maximum number of words. Usually the word count is 10000. However, there will also be specific instruction on the word limit of the content. A slight mistake in the number of words in the title can make a big difference.
- Be sure that your referencing system meets the specific conditions as mentioned by your institution.
- Stick to the instructions on page lay-outs, font size and type. Read the instructions carefully because there might be some particular instructions to double space the lines or italicize the subheading. There might be instructions to use different font size and type.
- Don’t forget the official proceedings, most importantly the deadline; knowing by when you must submit is important before you begin to write your dissertation. The date is something that you should never forget. If you have made contacts with people with respect to your dissertation then you must write down the remarks in your diary.
- Each institution has different rules and regulations for a student’s assistance you must know yours. For example, before you ask for a dissertation work of previous student so that you can use it as a reference, you must know the rules and regulations that apply to it.
- Do not lose contact with your group, meet them often and discuss the issues with your friends, this might help you in deciding the issues and also keep you up to date. Even a small mistake or misunderstanding will cost you dearly.
Simple Plan for Your Dissertation Writing
A carefully prepared dissertation may take eight to nine months. So, in case you receive a signal from a concerned person, then you should devote the entire month searching for all prospective dissertation ideas, apart from the material for literature reviewing.
Stick to the process of literature review. However, finalize your suitable topic. Along with that, start designing your research study as well. Preparing to write dissertation is not at all a difficult thing.
Complete with your literature review as well as the research study design. In the same month, start with the process of material preparation as well as data gathering. You should also visit libraries, consult experts or professors, assess sources, receive sample works, and so on.
Continue with the earlier activities and add data analysis along with necessary charts and diagrams to your schedule as well.
This time around, you will probably have your exams. Take a break from all your dissertation activities and focus primarily on your exams.
During this time, resume your data analysis task and progressively get on on writing your dissertation.
Dedicate this month completely to writing your papers with editing, rewriting, revising, proof reading, checking etc.
This time around, you will probably be required to submit your dissertation papers.
As it is, developing the plan is not as difficult, as religiously following it. Enjoy the entire process and you will surely come up with the best results. Similarly, how to plan to write a dissertation is far more valuable than the writing process that should start inside your mind right from the dissertation topic selection and then continue throughout the other activities as well. Do make it a point to consult Primedissertations.com, which can be extremely useful in this regard.