How to Write a Dissertation Methodology
February 21, 2017
Dissertation Methodology Writing Tips
Writing a methodology chapter is the most difficult of all the dissertation writing difficulties. It is a lengthy process as well. The methodology chapter will vary depending on what kind of dissertation is used and also what study field is being focused on. In understanding more about this concept, you are highly advised to get a good example of a dissertation methodology. Thus, having to know the concept will give you a good glimpse of what you will do and what kind of results will you want to have. The methodology is like having to plan for the future in the dissertation while in the project itself, it is still the same but it will be written more of as a report. It is like having to be a mountaineer. You go on to different places and plan on what to do like what to have for lunch, plans for next day, etc. After all the tiring yet fun activities the mountaineers will then write what they experienced and what they learned from it.
The following tips below define what a methodology example of a general dissertation should or could be like, regardless of what type is it:
- The methodology should give the reader a realistic view so that they can easily relate and believe in this part. No blunders should be formulated in order to attain an error-free paper. Be very alert on what you write because readers can analyze if what you did was an error or not. Solid grounds on having the methods should be shown and explained for it helps institute which is the superior and suitable among the methods. One must highly support the chosen methods in order to gain the best results.
- Some research or models are likely to be adhered by others. For this manner, be more attentive to the information that you will give for it will be very beneficial to others.
- Methodology examples with good dissertations can let you see a clearer view of the whole topic. Some information like calculations, equipments, etc is likely to be discussed in a kind of as-needed basis.
- Do not forget to mention all the significant information about the materials, theories or techniques used. When handling dissertations related to Science, these things are very much in superiority. Places as well as the sources of where the materials gathered for experimentations should also be taken into details and be discussed. Also, explain why you did not take into possibility or opt not to go to other areas.
- In other discussions, do not forget to mention the following. One, the strengths, weaknesses as well as limitations of the hypothesis. Second, the accessibility of the materials used. And lastly, the conclusion regarding the methodology used and why it is more appropriate regardless of the limitations shown.
Remember, results are not mentioned in this chapter and citations should be placed in the references wherein detailed information as well as procedures will be placed. When you find difficulty in finding the answers, you can ask yourself and write your methodology. But, if problems still persist, you can ask other people or base it on online and available internet sources.
Data gathering methodology for the success of your dissertation writing
The success and failure of your dissertation depends on the method of gathering the data and its application. The method you use to gather your data will determine the amount and the worth of the data you gathered. As you go on with your dissertation writing you will come to know if the data you gathered is of any use to you or not. Depending on the data you have amassed you will be writing your dissertation and by the time you give your conclusion in your paper, the effectiveness of the data will have been assessed by you, the committee and the readers as well.
When choosing a technique for your methodology, remember the task you need to carry out. See that the technique is suitable for your task and also do not forget the time you need and the type of information you are dealing with. All these are very essential for your dissertation.
You cannot select the method without knowing if or not the resources for those methods are available, accessible and most importantly affordable for you. Your resources may be influenced by the amount of time you have, the money you can afford and the availability of the devices and equipments, your topic and context and not to forget your expertise in handling all these.
Sometimes time and money may limit your resources and you will have to choose from those that are available for you. Hence you must be wise while choosing your resource and come out with the one that will prove to be effective as well as informative for you.
There may be times when you will have to obtain the results from an experiment that has already been done instead of conducting your own new experiments.
While some methods give you different results others may not yield any results at all. It all depends on how you interpret your data. This is where the real test lies for all students; it will reflect the expertise of the student, which indeed, is the objective of dissertation methodology.
Identify and restrain yourself from any individual biases. The numeric details are very important. Any quantitative methods that yield numeric information have to be clearly analyzed and interpreted through statistics. Even though quantitative methods do not reveal much detail as compared to qualitative, they do determine your dissertation methodology.
Each measurement during the data gathering is related either to the subjectivity or the objectivity of the data. While the subjective methods are related to the qualitative methods the objective methods are related to the quantitative methods. The information you get from it may vary from high to low; this is why you need to be involved in it so that you can have a good understanding for yourself.
Data gathering process is not an easy task, but you are free to use any assistance if you need. It is important to gather and apply your data correctly. Your dissertation is good if your data gathering and analysis has been good.
While you are answering the queries, you are required to know as well as concentrate on a few important things:
- The reader is required to know about the means through which you obtained the information. The method preferred by you, would definitely affect your results. There is a great probability, that you shall obtain different results through different methods. This information would considerably help your reader in estimating the reliability of the results along with conclusion.
- You are available with various other methods that you can use for this purpose. The reason for choosing a particular method is something that the reader may wish to know. Now, since the matter might keep revolving inside the mind of the reader, unless the question is answered, it needs to be answered properly and convincingly.
- The reader is also interested in the fact that whether or not the method opted by you is in line with your study field. A questionnaire must be capable enough to figure out enough information in accordance with the requirement of your study field.
- Another major aspect is that your research method should fulfill the objective of your study. So, in case you do not include elderly patients in a study on arthritis, then your method can be called anything but perfect. This is because; arthritis is most common during old age.
- The methodology should also provide a description of the steps taken by you for averting the anticipated problems, apart from the steps taken by you, for curtailing the effects of those problems.
- Many a times, the methodology also requires that you provide adequate information for other researchers.
- You must also remember that you are not facing beginners. Therefore, you are not required to start right from the beginning.
- You should also remember that there is nothing wrong with accepting your limitations with obstacles or failure.
You should always remember that methodology chapter writing is very important, and it also requires a lot of efforts.